Monday, September 26, 2016

Street Food Junkie

Once in the souks of Aleppo, Syria a shop owner tried to woo us foreign girls into his humble shop by declaring, "I have cheap and nasty!" We didn't stick around long enough to discover if this was a ploy or if he really did have the cheap and nasty. The phrase stuck with us ever since.

For sure, without looking too hard, you can find cheap and nasty on the streets of downtown Bangkok. What I'm after, however is one letter off the nasty. I'm going for Cheap and TASTY!

Yep, I love me some street food!  

I am somewhat limited in my quest for delicious and incredibly cheap street food by my vegetarianism and inconvenient allergy to shellfish, but with a few limited Thai words and some ridiculous pantomime (visualize my free form interpretation of shrimp, eating, choking, and a violent death) I have managed without getting sick (yet). 

I might add that I consider the produce stand around the corner from me as street food, although technically, it is directly off the street food. I can pick up my salad in a bag, a dozen eggs, and some mangosteens without getting off my scooter, so I count it. 

It's my blog. I can do that.   

Now I am going to sit back, have a beer-I did have to get off my scooter to buy that-and enjoy my salad in a bag that I just bought for 30 bhat. Hmmm...cheap AND tasty! I'm hooked. 
Introducing Jen to my new addiction on her first visit to Thailand.

1 comment: